For the year 2016
- Instrument Hire is only available to current financial members of the Young Music Society. Membership for 2016 is $30 and is reneweable on 1 January each year. All instruments remain the property of the Young Music Society.
- Instrument Hire is conducted by the ACT school term and may be renewed term by term, until the end of the school year, by credit card online at www.youngmusicsociety.org.au, or by direct deposit into the Society’s bank account. (BSB112 908, A/c 040035697 – please quote your family surname plus ID).
Term Hire Periods for 2016 are (overlapping dates indicate Hire can be in either term):
Term 1: February 2 – April 24. Due date for renewal payment: Feb 2
Term 2: April 6 – July 17. Due date for renewal payment: April 27
Term 3: June 29 – October 9. Due date for renewal payment: July 20
Term 4: September 21 – 4 December. Due date for renewal payment: October 12
The instrument may be returned at any time during the year by phoning or emailing to make an appointment. When a return occurs after the payment due date, full term’s hire fees will apply. All instruments must be returned by the end of the year.
- All instrument hire carries a $140 service deposit (per instrument)
- Families who return their instruments by December 4 will receive $140 of the service deposit, less any additional deductions (see below).
- Families who return their instrument by December 18 will receive $110 of the service deposit, less any additional deductions (see below).
- Return booking appointment forms must be completed by the advised date. Families who are unable to meet this deadline will forfeit $15 of the service deposit.
- Families who return their instrument after December 18, without prior arrangement from the Society, will forfeit all of their service deposit.
- Families who fail to keep an appointment will forfeit $15 of the service deposit
- Families who make payments for renewal after due dates will forfeit $15 of the service deposit per term.
The remaining Service Deposit will be returned by Direct Deposit on completion of the instrument being serviced (see Point 4).
- Any repairs or maintenance of the instrument that is undertaken in the service that is above general wear and tear will be met by the Hirer through the Service Deposit. In the case that the repair exceeds the value of the Service Deposit the additional payment will be required to be met by the Hirer to a maximum amount of $500. In addition, the Hirer will be responsible for the replacement cost of any instrument due to any loss or non-return of an instrument.
Should the Hirer fail to meet such costs, the Society will take appropriate legal action to recover such costs and any legal and other costs incurred as necessary.
- Care and return of the hired instrument is the responsibility of the person to whom it is issued and the instrument must not be passed on to any other person. The hired instrument must be returned personally by an adult in the same family who hired the instrument.
- Any repairs required during the Hire must only be carried out by a repairer approved by the Society, in accordance with Point 4. Do not undertake any repairs before speaking to YMS Staff, with the exception of replacing broken strings and reeds.
- Instruments must be stored in a cool, dry climate, and should not be left in heat for excessive amounts of time (e.g. a car). Stickers or labels must not be attached to any instrument, except for teaching purposes in which case they must be completely removed before returning them (including any residue). The cost of removing stickers from instruments will be passed on to the Hirer as per point 4, at $20/instrument.
- Violin, Cello, Viola and Double Bass Hirers only.
All bowed strings carry a $60 bow bond which is included in the Service Deposit. Hire for these instruments comes with a bow. Families who do not return the bow in the original condition will forfeit their bow bond (based on the tension of the bow), as the Society will have to replace it. To keep your bow in good condition, make sure it is always loosened when not playing the instrument.
Broken strings for bowed strings must be replaced with Pirastro Piranito strings at the hirer’s cost. You can contact the Society for a list of suppliers.
9. Guitar Hirers only.
Broken strings for guitars must be replaced by D’Addario strings at the hirer’s cost. You can contact the Society for a list of suppliers.
10. Brass Hirers only
Brass instruments must be bathed before return. Instructions for bathing can be provided on request. Families who return instruments in a dirty condition will be charged $40 for cleaning costs.